no part may be reproduced by any process without the prior written permission of the
Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority or the Australian Maritime Safety Authority.
The National Library of Australia Cataloguing-in-Publication entry :
Dent Island Lightstation heritage management plan [electronic resource] / Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority.
Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority and the Australian Maritime Safety Authority 2013,
The Dent Island Lightstation was placed on the Commonwealth Heritage List in 2004. It is important for the evidence it shows of the historical development of maritime aids to navigation in Australia. The lighthouse, first lit in 1879, demonstrates a rare construction method used only in Queensland colonial lighthouses.
The lightstation is jointly managed by the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority (GBRMPA), the Queensland Parks and Wildlife Service (QPWS) through the Field Management Program
, and the Australian Maritime Safety Authority (AMSA), and is included on the Commonwealth Heritage List.
The Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999
requires that each Commonwealth agency that owns or controls a Commonwealth Heritage listed place must make a written management plan to protect and manage the Commonwealth Heritage values of the place.
This Dent Island Lightstation Heritage Management Plan describes the heritage values of this Commonwealth place, sets out the obligations that arise from those values, and proposes measures to ensure that those values are managed and protected.
This heritage management plan was written and adopted by the GBRMPA and AMSA
, the two Commonwealth agencies responsible for the lightstation.
Figure — Dent Island Lightstation (Image: Hamilton Island Enterprises)
Dent Island Lightstation was included in the Commonwealth Heritage List in 2004 because it demonstrates the historical pattern of development of coastal aids to navigation in colonial Queensland, and because it is a characteristic example of its type.
The lighthouse, erected on the island in 1879, was one of a series of 12 lighthouse towers of a distinctive type, built between 1873 and 1890. These timber-framed towers clad with riveted iron were designed by officers of the Queensland colonial government
, to meet the particular needs of the colony, in a form that was not used anywhere else in the world. Near the lighthouse tower are two houses, a workshop
, a derrick crane, a winch house, a trolley way, fowl house
, and the grounds in which they sit together; these elements make up the Dent Island Lightstation.
The lightstation is about 18 km from Shute Harbour, on the south-western side of Dent Island
, in the Whitsunday Region of the Great Barrier Reef. Dent Island is within the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park and World Heritage Area. The southern part of the island is held on behalf of the Commonwealth of Australia by the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority (GBRMPA). The lighthouse is a working aid to navigation that remains the property of the Australian Maritime Safety Authority (AMSA).
This heritage management plan is concerned mainly with the lightstation, but also addresses the management of the surrounding land which forms the visual setting of the lightstation. The plan is intended to guide the decisions and actions of the GBRMPA and its two lessees at Dent Island — AMSA which continues to own and operate the lighthouse, and a private lessee who occupies the rest of the lightstation site. The GBRMPA and AMSA have prepared this plan jointly
, to integrate the management of the heritage values of the lightstation in accordance with the Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999
The 1879 lighthouse has been fitted with modern solar-powered lighting equipment, and operates automatically as a part of the AMSA network of aids to navigation. The equipment is serviced by AMSA’s maintenance contractor who visits at least once per year. AMSA officers visit on an ad hoc basis for auditing
, project and community liaison purposes.
The larger part of the lightstation outside the AMSA lease, containing two lightkeepers’ houses and other ancillary structures, is leased to a private lessee who operates a golf course on Dent Island. The private lessee has carried out repairs to the buildings
, grounds and services, and uses the houses to accommodate members of staff. The lightstation area is not open to visitors except by special arrangement.
The use of the lightstation and its setting is constrained by several management controls, including Commonwealth Islands zoning
, permits and leases. Under the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Zoning Plan 2003
, this part of Dent Island is designated a Commonwealth Islands Zone and may be used or entered without permission only for low impact (non-extractive) activities such as photography, filming, marine resources and limited educational programs. This heritage management plan is consistent with meeting the ‘objectives of the zone’ by ensuring minimal environmental impact.
Being well built and generally well maintained over the years
, the buildings and other structures of the lightstation mostly remain in a good, stable condition. The policies and management regimes set out in this heritage management plan will ensure the Dent Island Lightstation’s heritage values are recognised and maintained into the future.