The City of Ballarat is mostly situated in the northern part of Wathaurung Country, which covers an area very roughly bounded by present-day Werribee, Queenscliff, Aireys Inlet, Cressy, Streatham, Beaufort, Learmonth and Bacchus Marsh. The part of the City north of Learmonth is Dja Dja Wurrung Country. The City recognises the Wathaurung and Dja Dja Wurrung peoples as the original settlers and custodians of these lands.
In January 1838, Somerville and Thomas Learmonth, William Yuille, Henry Anderson and John Aitken set out from Corio to explore the area to the north-west, which included the present day City of Ballarat. By 1839, settlers had established a number of homesteads, as well as Victoria’s first inland settlement at Buninyong. The pastoral landscape was changed forever when gold was discovered near Buninyong and at Golden Point in August 1851. The rush that followed established Ballarat, which quickly became Victoria’s largest inland city.
The name Ballarat is derived from the Wathawurrung word Ballaarat (also written Balla-arat) and is generally accepted to mean elbow place or resting place.
Key Dates in Local Municipal History 18 December 1855
Municipality of Ballaarat created (note “aa” spelling)
7 October 1856
Ballarat District Roads Board created
5 May 1857
Municipality of Ballarat East created
9 July 1858
Buninyong District Roads Board created
15 April 1859
Borough of Buninyong created
1861 (exact date unknown)
Municipality of Smythesdale created
12 April 1861
Ripon District Roads Board created
24 June 1861
Municipality of Ballarat East became Township of Ballarat East
Municipality of Ballaarat became Borough of Ballarat (note change to single “a” spelling)
Township of Ballarat East became Borough of Ballarat East
24 November 1863
Ballarat District Roads Board became Shire of Ballarat
18 December 1863
Ripon District Roads Board became Shire of Ripon
16 February 1864
Buninyong District Roads Board became Shire of Buninyong
Grenville District Roads Board became Shire of Grenville
1 October 1864
Borough of Sebastopol created
1869 (exact date unknown)
Municipality of Smythesdale became Borough of Smythesdale
9 September 1870
Borough of Ballarat became City of Ballaarat (note return to “aa” spelling)
27 January 1871
Bungaree District Roads Board became Shire of Bungaree
19 August 1872
Borough of Ballarat East became Town of Ballarat East
1 October 1915
Borough of Buninyong amalgamated with Shire of Buninyong
Borough of Browns and Scarsdale and Borough of Smythesdale amalgamated with Shire of Grenville
25 May 1921
Town of Ballarat East amalgamated with City of Ballaarat
31 March 1930
Part of Shire of Bungaree (roughly bounded by Norman, Sherrard and Gregory Streets and Creswick Road) annexed to City of Ballaarat
6 May 1994
City of Ballarat (note single “a” spelling) created from former City of Ballaarat, Shire of Ballarat and Borough of Sebastopol, and parts of Shires of Bungaree, Buninyong, Grenville and Ripon
Many smaller changes to municipal boundaries have also occurred since 1855.
Origins of Names
Where known, the origin of names and year of naming are marked $:, although many names were in use well before they became official. Conversely, names are allocated to roads in new estates well before construction. Where a road or other feature has been renamed and the former name is known, it is listed with a cross-reference to the current name and also marked under the current name. Information should be used with caution, as roads, localities, features or facilities with similar names may have different origins, and different parts of the same road or locality may have been named (or renamed) at different times.
Known Aboriginal names are also shown under the current European name. These have been obtained from the Database of Aboriginal Placenames of Victoria (Ian D Clark & Toby Heydon, Victorian Aboriginal Corporation for Languages, 2002). The Aboriginal language is shown where possible, but if it is unknown or uncertain, it is simply shown as Aboriginal. Note that different names may apply to different parts of the same feature, even within the same language. Also, different spellings exist for many Aboriginal words, including language, tribal and clan groups: this index uses the spellings shown in the Database.
To aid future research, Council naming proposal (NP-) and Vicnames (Land Victoria) file (GPN-) numbers (where applicable) are shown after source details for roads and other features named or renamed by the City since commencement of the Geographic Place Names Act in December 1998. If known, Victoria Government Gazette references (year and page, eg:Gaz.1935 p.3302) are shown for names assigned before that date.
Details come from written and oral records of varying reliability. Verified information is identified by a naming proposal file number or the @ symbol, while a question mark indicates a known uncertainty. (An @ beside a name itself indicates that the spelling of the name has been verified.) Please contact Council staff if you can add, verify or correct details. While such information is always appreciated, it is not practicable to credit specific sources in this index.
Anyone seeking more information than is given in this index should contact local historical societies or the
Australiana Research Room, Ballarat Library, 178 Doveton Street North, Ballarat Central 3350 (phone 5331 1211).
The library’s collection includes a wide range of historical records, including early rates books, and staff can provide help with research.
Historical Property (House) Numbers
Council often receives enquiries from people trying to identify properties occupied by forebears. Block renumbering of Ballarat’s urban roads is believed to have begun around the early 1900s and is known to have continued into the 1970s. In some places, a second renumbering occurred when large properties were subdivided. Council’s records don’t show the relationship between original and present-day numbers, although it’s sometimes possible to identify properties that were renumbered towards the end of the process (but not the date when renumbering occurred.)
The Ballarat Library has microfilm copies of early rates books, listing properties (with ratepayers’ names and sometimes occupations) in order along each road. Intersecting roads are usually noted, so it is often possible to locate a particular property by counting the number of properties from the intersection, making allowance for any development that has occurred in the intervening years. (It is a good idea to count from both ends of the block if possible, to minimise the risk of error resulting from more recent development.) While this won’t guarantee that the correct property will be found, it will at least usually narrow it down to a few properties.
Some roads have never been block numbered and, with a few exceptions here and there, the original numbers are still in use.
Road Names in Subdivisions and Unit Developments
Names of all roads in new subdivisions and common property driveways in unit developments require Council approval. Developers are encouraged to discuss road names for proposed subdivisions at an early stage. Approved names are added to this index, to ensure they are “reserved” for that development, and to minimise the risk of inadvertently approving the same or a similar name for another subdivision. These names are marked propand, where possible, map references are given, but if the location is unclear the name is marked TBA.
Estate names used for promotional purposes don’t require Council approval, but must not imply that they are (or may become) the suburb name. Ideally, all such names should include the word Estate.
Roads in Adjoining Municipalities
New road names must not duplicate or be similar to names of existing roads and must be checked for duplication within a 30 km radius. Some roads in nearby areas are listed with the name of the respective municipality, but this index makes no attempt to list all roads within the 30 km radius. Roads that are beyond the extent of the maps are marked by the symbol %. The City of Ballarat cannot guarantee the accuracy of these names – the appropriate municipality should be contacted if confirmation is needed.
Enquiries concerning road, feature and facility names or naming processes should be directed to
Council’s Place Names Officer, Ron Woods (phone 03 5320 5763 or email: email@example.com) Abbreviations and Symbols
Locality names and their abbreviations used in this index are shown on pages 3 and 4.
The index shows the Council Wards effective from November 2008: C Central Ward N North Ward S South Ward
Column "A" in the index indicates the main authority responsible for maintenance of the road, reserve, etc. (The authority responsible after construction is shown for proposed roads.) This is only a guide, as on many roads responsibility is shared, and may change in response to road hierarchy and legislative changes. Authorities are identified by letters as follows:
B Ballarat City C Crown *G Golden Plains Shire H Hepburn Shire M Moorabool Shire
P Pyrenees Shire S A&P Society U University of Ballarat V VicRoads †X Private
* Crown includes all federal and state government departments except VicRoads
% beyond maps ? unknown/uncertain Gaz Government Gazette @ spelling or origin of name confirmed
NP Council naming proposal file number GPN Land Victoria naming proposal file number
Locality and road names (including those in private developments) are listed in normal text
Other features and facilities are listed in italics
Locality Names, Postcodes and Abbreviations
Boundaries and names of most localities within the City of Ballarat were defined in 1998, although subsequent changes have occurred. Old localities were not well-defined, but are listed with references to the present-day localities in which they are generally believed to lie.
Only names shown in bold are current official locality names within the City of Ballarat.
* official locality name, but not within the City of Ballarat † not an official name ∞ an official “neighbourhood” (not locality) name
Except for mail addressed to specific Post Offices (as noted), names marked † or ∞ must NOT be used as postal addresses
Addington 3352 – ADGN
$:parish, after W L Addington, (Viscount Sidmouth) (bdy chg: NP-054, NP-164, NP-165, NP-165A)
Alfredton 3350 – ALFN
$:Prince Alfred (bdy chg: NP-008, GPN-273, NP-138)
> Ballarat Central $: Wathawurrung: ballarat/ballaarat – resting/elbow place There is no suburb or locality named Ballarat: this name should only be used for the railway station, the urban area as a whole and mail addressed to PO Boxes at:
$:Scottish keep. Spelt Ercildoun by original settlers. Djadjawurrung: windyilert-krotang – meaning uncertain (bdy chg: NP-165, NP-165A)
Eureka 3350 – ERKA
$:Eureka lead (Greek: “eureka” – I found it!)
Evansford 3371 * – EVFD
> Gong Gong$:site of skin dealers
Garibaldi 3352 * – GBLD
Glendaruel 3363 – GDAR
$:parish (bdy chg: NP-054)
Glendonald 3364 – GDON
$:former village and nearby creek. Spelling amended 2009 Glendonnell
Glen Park 3352 – GLPK
(bdy chg: NP-116)
Golden Point 3350 – GNPT
$:discovery of gold
Gong Gong 3352 – GGNG
$:Wiradjuri (NSW): gang gang – cockatoo Fellmongers
Grahams Hill †
> Ascot; Creswick
Green Hill †
> Mount Helen
Gum Trees †
> Delacombe $:WW2 munitions factory
Haddon 3351 * – HADN
$:discoverer of gold
Invermay 3352 – INMY
(bdy chg: NP-058)
Invermay Park 3350 – INPK
$: Invermay, large residential estate, cut off from the rest of Invermay by Western Freeway
Irish Town / Irishtown †
> Bunkers Hill $:early settler
Lake Gardens 3355 – LGDN
$: 2000 NP-008, GPN-273: large residential estate on former Lakeside Hospital site parts Alfredton, Lake Wendouree (bdy chg: 2008 NP-138)
Lake Wendouree 3350 – LWND
$: area surrounding lake – see Lake Wendouree in main index (bdy chg: NP-008, GPN-273)
Lal Lal 3352 * – LLAL
$: Wathawurrung: lal-lal – dashing of waters (one of 3 Aboriginal names for Lal Lal Falls)
Learmonth 3352 – LMTH
$:1838: early settlers (bdy chg: NP-049, NP-054, NP-163, NP-164)
Leigh Creek 3352 * – LECK
$:near Leigh (Yarrowee) River Wathawurrung: wahwilcurtan – meaning uncertain
> Ballarat East $:Ballarat East councillor
Little Bendigo †
Long Point †
> Ascot; Creswick
Lucas – LCAS
$: 2010 the “Lucas Girls” who created Ballarat Avenue of Honour (NP-178 pt Cardigan)
Locality Names, Postcodes and Abbreviations – continued
Boundaries and names of most localities within the City of Ballarat were defined in 1998, although subsequent changes have occurred. Old localities were not well-defined, but are listed with references to the present-day localities in which they are believed to lie.
Only names shown in bold are current official locality names within the City of Ballarat.
* official locality name, but not within the City of Ballarat † not an official locality name ∞ an official “neighbourhood” (not locality) name
Except for mail addressed to Ballarat Post Office (as noted), names marked † or ∞ must not be used as postal addresses.
Madmans Flat †
Magpie 3352 – MPIE
> Miners Rest $:mine
Miners Rest 3352 – MRST
$: resting place for miners en route to goldfields (bdy chg: NP-049) Wathawurrung: drawall – meaning uncertain, or Drawill – stony or native turkey – also see Burrumbeet Creek in main index