MSDS Name: SULPHURIC ACID
Molecular Wt: 98.08
SECTION 2 – Composition/Information on Ingredients
Chemical Name Percent
SECTION 3 – Hazards Identification
Appearance: Clear, colorless to dark brown, odorless, dense, oily liquid.
Hygroscopic. Will not burn. Can decompose at high temperatures forming toxic
gases, such as sulphur oxides. Contact with combustible materials may cause fire.
Highly reactive. Contact with many organic and inorganic chemicals may cause fire
or explosion. Contact with metals liberates flammable hydrogen gas. Reacts violently
with water. VERY TOXIC.
May be fatal if inhaled or swallowed. CORROSIVE to the eyes, skin and respiratory
tract. May cause blindness and permanent scarring. Causes lung injury–effects may
be delayed. Strong inorganic acid mists containing sulphuric acid are
Target Organs: Lungs, teeth, eyes, skin, mucous membranes.
Potential Health Effects
Primary Route(s) of Entry: Inhalation and ingestion. Skin contact. Eye contact.
Effects of Acute Exposure: Corrosive, oxidizing and sulphonating properties on
contact. May be fatal by ingestion, inhalation or skin contact.
LD50/LC50: CAS# 7664-93-3: Inhalation, mouse: LC50 = 320 mg/m3/2H, Inhalation,
rat: LC50 = 510 mg/m3/2H Oral, rat: LD50 = 2140 mg/kg.
Eyes: Causes severe eye burns. May cause permanent eye injury, including blindness.
Sulphuric acid mists and aerosols are expected to be irritating.
Skin: Causes severe skin burns, blisters, ulcers, and permanent scarring. Extensive
burns may result in death. High mist or aerosol concentrations
may cause redness, irritation and burns to the skin if contact is prolonged.
Ingestion: May be fatal if swallowed. Causes burns to the lips, tongue, throat,
esophagus, and stomach; symptoms may include difficulty swallowing, intense
Aspiration during ingestion or vomiting may cause serious lung injury and death.
Inhalation: May be fatal if inhaled. Causes severe irritation and burns to the
respiratory system. May cause pulmonary edema with symptoms including coughing,
chest pain and shortness of breath. Symptoms can be delayed for
24-48 hours after exposure and are aggravated by physical
Effects of Chronic Exposure: Although sulphuric acid is widely used, there is little
information on the effects of long-term exposure. Long-term exposure to
corrosive materials like sulphuric acid can cause chronic respiratory irritation.
Repeated exposure to sulphuric acid aerosols has caused dental erosion. Repeated
skin contact with low concentrations can cause dry, red, cracked skin (dermatitis).